2018 ‘Windswept’ Tiree Wave Classic
2018 marks the 32nd Anniversary of the Tiree Wave Classic windsurfing event and Wild Diamond, Tiree’s local windsurfing shop and centre, are hosting the Event again for 2018. The event is again this year supported primarily by Event Scotland, Argyll & Bute Council, Caledonian MacBrayne, Argyll Estates, O’Neill Wetsuits and our primary private sector sponsor for this year Morayshire based real ales brewery - Windswept!
We have a list of additional sponsors who we would also like to thanks for the ongoing commitment and support of this event both historically and in recent years.
Of particular interest this year for competitors this year:
- Headquarters: An Talla community hall ( Crossapol ) will be our headquarters with pop up cafe trade stalls, surf shop and wifi this place will serve as an awesome hang out for the week.
- Event Village in at Loch Bhasapol: Windsurfing, surfing, body boarding, kayaking, and stand up paddle boarding will all be available from our sports centre at Loch Bhasapol during the event week. This will be bookable from our headquarters at An Talla.
- Clinics: As conditions allow - William Maclean, Event Host and former Tiree Head Judge and competitor, will offer some coaching for competitors looking to raise their game and ranking in whichever fleet they are competing in. Clinics may also be provided by Mark ‘Sparky’ Hosegood and Colin ‘Whippy’ Dixon.
- Nightlife:As always our local businesses will be getting involved. For more information see: Tiree Wave Classic Website
- Film crew: Sam Usher and RedHandedTV producing the official event broadcast piece as well as video content for online distribution.
- Social Media: Rider profiles and stories, Tweets, facebook updates, video and photos from the Event will be sent up on a minute to minute, hour to hour and day to day basis, depending on the level of data content. Tiree has fibreoptic capabilities in some parts of the island this year meaning that video updates will be much easier for 2018 and onwards.
- Dedicated Judging team: We hope to confirm that Mark Hosegood, Mike Archer, Craig Hamilton and Charlie Gilman will all return for 2018
- Prize money: Minimum confirmed prize purse £1000.
- Prizes: Swords for the ladies pro and mens pro winners! Product prizes for the other podium places and other fleets.
- Closing Ceremony Feast In true inner Hebridean style we will again feast for our closing ceremony where we will bestow the mighty wave classic sword upon the victors of the week and wash back pie with a pint of windswept. Entry Ticket available to purchase from Event HQ – Tickets required meal and merriment included. Book with TWC events team at HQ.
Location: Isle of Tiree, Argyll & Bute, Scotland
When:13th - 19th (inclusive) October 2018
BWA Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Contact: email@example.com 077121 59205
Official Event Website & Registration: www.tireewaveclassic.co.uk
Entry Fee: Register at www.tireewaveclassic.co.uk ( Fee’s available on website )
Registration: Online Pre-entry for all fleets will be mandatory for this years event. Closing date: 15th September for All Fleets
Head Judge: Mark Hosegood / Mike Archer
Junior & Youth Development Officer: Willy Maclean - 07712159205 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Willy will be the key contact in the BWA drive to develop junior and youth sailors standards in 2018 & onwards and looking to coach and assist anyone with an immediate or long term ambition to compete in wave sailing events with the BWA.
- Please register at the Event HQ between 11am - 2pm on Saturday the 13th October 2018
- The 'Future Pro’s' coaching week can be booked at a cost of £150 for daily coaching from Sunday 14th until Friday 19th.
- Please book this via the Tiree Wave Classic event website at: tireewaveclassic.co.uk/register-now/ Payment can be made online.
- The daily format can be viewed online at: tireewaveclassic.co.uk/youth-event/ This will be updated to the finalised program in the month before the event.
- Bookings for this service will be on a first come, first serve basis with payment in advance of the dates of this event.
Please contact Willy directly if you have any further questions or you would like to book for youth coaching sessions.
Chief Photographers: Tiree, 7 Degrees West Photography.
Weather for Balephuil, Tiree
Entry form for the Tiree Wave Classic
Please visit: www.tireewaveclassic.co.uk